So I had never been on the “other side” of a Kickstarter before, so it was extremely satisfying to be able to see people react to YOKOHAMA in the way that they did. I won’t go on and on about this since I have some big future news coming up, but I know I speak for everyone at TMG when I say “Thank you!” over and over again for your trust in us and your support. We cannot wait to get this game deluxified and into everyone’s hands so they can enjoy playing it as much as you will!
Gen Con fever!
I am having trouble comprehending that Gen Con is almost here, but it is right around the corner, and I have a soft spot for the big one as this was where I met Michael and had the fateful conversation that led to me having a job within the gaming community. TMG will of course have a booth and we are at location number 259. (similar to our previous location the 2 years prior)
The big news for us will be the release of the newest game in our small box line, Thief’s Market, from designer Dave Chalker (Get Bit!) and the smash hit, Guilds of London from Tony Boydell (Snowdonia). In addition, we will have limited copies of the super rare Orléans: Deluxe Edition for sale.
A couple of quick notes:
1. We cannot reserve copies of any of our games. They will be on a first come first serve basis.
2. We fully expect to sell out of Guilds of London quickly if the response and interest at Origins and UK Games Expo are any indication.
3. We will NOT have copies of Ponzi Scheme or Orléans Invasion for sale. I know, I know, I am probably more upset than you are.
Please stop by the booth and say hello and take some time to demo some of our games!
So you want to work for TMG…
I can honestly say that the moment I started working for Dargon, my life improved on an immeasurable factor of infinity. The stress of working in a corporate environment melted away and I was able to focus my attention on an industry where my passion and excitement could shine. My co-worker Daniel put it best when he simply said – “Tasty Minstrel Games is the place where dreams come true.”
All that being said, I am going to turn the email over to the big boss man, so he can give you the lowdown on the opportunities we have for those who are interested…
Boss man here… So, I would hire an additional person right now to help with game pre-production (development, helping with art, preparing Kickstarter projects) if I had the right person to hire. Which leads me into the general issue:
I need to start finding the right people now for the positions which I anticipate possibly wanting in the future.
Just being a subscriber to our email list is a good start. Now, you need to know that we do things VERY differently at TMG than at most companies. We want you to be able to figure out what you should be working on and get that work done, we can provide direction but we don’t want to hold your hand (seriously, icky). You will be held accountable to results (and being a good/nice person). We want flexible workers, “that isn’t my job” is something that nobody is allowed to say at TMG.
Thus, you would have the discretion, authority, and funds to do what you need to do within the realm of your assignments. At TMG, there is a lot to be done in many areas, so you can often decide to work inside of a particular passion. Perks include free TMG games, going to conventions (TMG pays), working with me and Lance.
The only super-important caveat to point out here is that TMG does not pay employees to generate new game designs. We work with independent game designers for that (and you could be one and still work at TMG). The reason is that I view game design as speculative labor, and TMG cannot afford to spend money on speculative labor.
With all of that said, here are the capacities that I can imagine TMG needing additional skills (but not necessarily right now):
- Dargon-style HR – finding talent, developing talent, coaching employees. We outsource our payroll and paperwork as much as possible.
- Pre-production (large project concentration) – This would be managing game development, playtesting groups, artwork, marketing preparation. The idea here is to enable TMG to consistently run Kickstarter projects to the level of success we just saw with Yokohama.
- Marketing – Management, process improvement/documentation, execution, execution of minimum level marketing for each title. — I would personally still concentrate on TMG’s marketing strategy, however I would be personally overloaded with the rest of this (and it interests me less personally).
- Marketing – Content creation (but you better have the ideas and ability to execute on them to the highest quality)
- Outbound licensing solicitation/communication.
- Manufacturing and logistics management.
- Financial controls.
If you want to be considered, then you need to do the following:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [Skill Area] Employment Opportunity
- Body: Tell me briefly what you did, how you did it, what you liked, and what you want to do. Sell me on why you should join the TMG team.
Lance & Michael
TMG’s Viking Pillager & Founder/CEO respectively
Subscribe to Our Free Newsletter
Sign up to our email newsletter to receive the latest news, updates on games, contests and more!